12 November, 2009

I did it! I did it!

Yesterday I learnt how to crochet!

I bought this yarn a while back when the shop was having a stocktake sale. I was helping!!! Giving her less to count of course! You may also remember this book that I got a while back. Well, this has granny square instructions in it. So finally I sat down to it. Like I need more crafts to do, I know. Anyway, between this book & one youtube video tutorial I finally got it right. I finally found a tute that showed me the proper way to do the treble crochet. I almost had it myself but wasn't sure as it didn't seem right. Turned out I was missing a loop. So many of the tutes wewe flying over that bit & showing the basic of the square, but finally I found one in slow motion as she put it & I got to see the actual stitch in action! So I am pretty pleased with myself. The blue yarn is a varigated blues. Looks quite pretty on the ball but I am not sure about the square. Too much? Does it look too messy? I added the white as it needed something & I did buy the white at the time to put on it too anyway. If you can imagine it with lots of little blue bits & the white, it isn't so bad is it? I guess the next thing will be learning how to put the squares together. Maybe I had better do another square & try that next!

Last night after work we were out on the deck as usual. (Brandon wants to swing so we are forced out there every night! lol) Stu said "are you crocheting?". I said "Yes". He said "I didn't know you could crochet!". I said, "I just learnt today!" So that's how easy it is really... so if you wanted to try, give it a go!

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it
I'm so excited and I just can't hide it
And I know I know I know I know I know I want you
I'm so excited - The Pointer Sisters

6 comments:

Kali said...

Clever You!
Keep at it now...i'm sure that's the secret.
I've taught myself over time, and then not kept at it and of course have never got the hang of it properly.
I'd love to crochet...so many gorgeous yarns and things to make!
Your granny square looks beautiful..well done :)

karen said...

Hiya
well done on the crochet I struggled with it for months and then one day it just clicked and now I love it.
Have you came across attic 24's blog yet she's fab and has lot's of tutorials for crocheting different things but she writes them down in such a way that it is really easy for beginners to understand and she has a fab tutorial on joining granny squares together.
The blog address is
http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/
If you wanna go take a look.
(((hugs)))
karen

Chars said...

Well done :) Crochet is something I have always known how to do? Its weird as I have no recollection of ever learning???

ExcUsE mY frEnch said...

great job !!!
the problem with crochet is that when you finish the first square, it's only the very beginning..
well hang on !
:)

meetmeatmikes said...

You DID IT! Hurrah! Go you! I'm so proud of you! It looks GREAT! Don't forget to go look here for inspiration :: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1037596@N25/ xxx

Sally said...

YAY!!! I was so excited when I recently learnt to crochet too!!! SO many projects are gathering & making a much too long list in my head. I'll sort through it in 2010. It is such a cool craft with little ones as it is so portable and easy to fix if it gets a bit unravelled.