25 January, 2017

A Long Time Ago

I used to do a lot of stitching...  cross stitch.

I did a lot for myself & family but I did a lot for a couple of different charities that were pretty special at the time.  The idea was to stitch a square of a design following a theme that a child (or the family) had chosen.  These children were all sick.  Most of them terminally.  It was great to be a part of.  Stuart even stitched a few squares for them at the time.  We also had the opportunity to deliver a couple of completed quilts to children from this area which was amazing.

I used to have all my pictures stored online but that place shut down & all my pictures went poof!  I have come by one of the organisations again through social media that never existed like this back then.  Gee, it would have made a difference back in the early 2000's to have used that to organise something as massive as it turned into.

Anyway, having retrieved a few of my pictures & a few of the finished quilts to go with them with the children that received them, I am going to post the pictures on here for you to see.  It was quite something to be a part of back then.  Maybe if I do some stitching again a little more down the track I might do a few more again.  I still have fabric squares sitting here made to measure.  So humour me & put up with an influx of squares over the next few days won't you?

These were the start of my squares.  Quite sentimental these ones.




For some reason I did 4 squares for this next girl.  







A couple of single squares to go on a couple more.  I did enjoy the alphabet one.  Not very often a child would pick the alphabet as a theme.  





This cool elephant is one that Stuart did.  We remember him well.  He was quite a special piece.


It's sad that these children were all terminal with this illness Spinal Muscular Atrophy.  (SMA)  Hopefully this brightened their days a little all those years ago.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How lovely that you could do some of the squares to brighten the lives of some of those children.