29 December, 2017

Books 2017

All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doer
Really enjoyed this one.  Was a slow read for some reason, but not because I didn't enjoy it.

The Dress Maker - Rosalie Ham
Audio book - glad I didn't read this in paperbook.  Didn't really enjoy it at all.

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes - Anna McPartlin
Stuart's Christmas gift book to me.  I was dreading it but it was really good.  I thoroughly enjoyed it considering the sad subject matter.

The Light In the Ruins - Chris Bohjalian
Audiobook - quite enjoyed this one.  Second of his I have listened too.

Violent Exposure - Katherine Howell
Audiobook - wasn't too bad for a crime one.  Even set in Aussie.  Quite enjoyed it though.

Random Act of Kindness - Lisa Verge Higgins
Audiobook - enjoyed this one.  It was slow to start but quite enjoyed it in the end.

The Great Christmas Knit Off - Alexandra Brown
Ok story.  Not a huge story line, was lacking a little.  But a quick enjoyable read in the end.

The Burgess Boys - Elizabeth Strout
Audiobook - This seemed to go on for an age.  Slow going & wondered the point of it really but got there in the end.  Wouldn't have bothered in paperback though.

The Book of Lost Threads - Tess Evans
Really enjoyed this.  Has been on the shelf for a few years I reckon.  It finally got read.  Went quickly as I was enjoying it so much.

The Beekeeper's Secret - Josephine Moon
Liked this a lot.  A really enjoyable story.  Second book of hers I have read.  Both great.

That Gallagher Girl - Kate Thompson
This was OK.  A follow up to one I had previously.  Enjoyed that one better.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson
This was a let down.  It wasn't awful but didn't capture me in anyway.  Was a struggle to finish it but I did.

The Girl On The Train - Paula Hawkins
Picked this up cheaply in a bookshop.  Wasn't a bad story & I got through it quickly.  Been a while since I have read a thriller.  Looking forward to seeing the movie sometime in the next couple of years!

True Colours - Kristin Hannah
Enjoyed this one.  Quite a good family drama.

The Adventures of the Wishing-Chair - Enid Blyton
Read this one, a chapter a night to DJ.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  I read these as a child myself so to read again from an adult perspective was fun.  One of the pictures I remember so very clearly too.  I like how these are written.  Straight to the point really.  A chapter in roughly 8 pages & it is enough to bring out the magic & adventure.  She is an incredible author.

The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah
Really liked this one.  Based on WW2 was really interesting though horrible too.  But a good read.

The Difference a Day Can Make - Carole Matthews
Wasn't bad.  Another mindless read but not too awful, though a bit predictable too.

Class - Jenny Colgan
Ok read.  Really mindless & simple which was great at the time.

Delicious! - Ruth Reichl
Loved this.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  So much.  Can't explain why, just was so nice, lovely, easy to read, but really drew me in too.

The Beach Cafe - Lucy Diamond
Nice story, although predictable too.  Good holiday read, & enjoyed it over all.

The Christmas Tea Shop & Bakery  - De-Ann Black
Just a light read for travel on the tablet.  Was Ok, certainly nothing to get excited over.  But helped fill in time.  More of a novella.

No comments: